RXBARs are some of the healthiest protein bars around because they have simple, whole food ingredients.
- They're very convenient when you don't have time to prepare a real meal.
- They're very convenient during a workout or hike when your hands are dirty.
- RXBars are tougher to chew than many other brands of protein bars.
Are RXBARs healthy? Are they good for you?
We believe RXBARs are healthier than most protein bars because they don't contain artificial sweeteners, coloring, synthetic fibers, and other questionable ingredients. However, we would still recommend eating whole foods whenever possible and eating fresh fruit instead of dried fruit. Also, we would prefer explicitly listed flavors instead of natural flavors, which can be a variety of unknown foods.
How Our Ratings Work
Our ratings are based on ingredients and nutrition facts. In particular, we look for:
- Limited Sodium: Some sodium is required for a healthy diet. However, excess salt can increase blood pressure, which can lead to cardiovascular issues.
- Limited Stimulants: Stimulants are okay in moderation and most food has way less caffeine than a cup of tea or cup of coffee. Caffeine also might have some health benefits. With that said, caffeine can cause nutrient depletion of important nutrients, like vitamin B6, and interfere with nutrient absorption of essential minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium and B vitamins.
- Limited Sweeteners: Sweeteners improve taste and are also okay in moderation. However, per Harvard Medical School, refined, concentrated sugar consumed in large amounts rapidly increases blood glucose and insulin levels, increases triglycerides, inflammatory mediators and oxygen radicals, and with them, the risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other chronic illnesses.
- No Artificial Flavors: An artificial flavor is a chemical mixture that imitates a natural flavor in some way. We believe in eating natural instead of artificial whenever possible.
- No Sugar Alcohols: Sugar alcohols are known to cause digestive issues and might actually contribute to weight gain despite having fewer calories than natural sweeteners.
- Simple, Whole Food Ingredients: We believe in eating whole foods vs. highly processed foods with synthetically derived ingredients.
Disclaimer About Our Ratings
- We haven't rated every possible product. Our system favors products with accessible nutrition information and product details.
- Nutrition data is limited. For example, we can't always tell whether carbohydrates are derived from sugar or whole grains. We also can't tell if ingredients are from quality sources.
- "Healthiness" is subjective, personalized, and opinionated. There's still a lot of unknowns about nutrition and an ideal diet is often different for different people.
Questions & Answers
Are they non-GMO?
Yes. RXBARs do not contain genetically modified ingredients. From RXBar's Website: "Our ingredients do not contain GMO ingredients."
Are they organic?
No. RXBARs are not organic. From RXBar's Website: "Our products are not certified organic, but we work closely with our suppliers and have policies in place to ensure our ingredients are of the highest quality."